Thursday, November 13, 2008

Say it isn't so...


About a decade ago I met a guy who was a member of the California Student Aid Commission. He had a very compelling story. He eventually became chair of the Commission and I watched him develop what I thought were pretty good political skills.

His day job at the time was a deputy sheriff in Orange County. He eventually ran for and won the job as the elected sheriff. I thought he was a natural for advancement. Soon into his career the county suffered a kidnap murder of a kid and the Sheriff coordinated an aggressive campaign to first find the kid and then apprehend the kidnapper. He showed great leadership skills in that situation and I thought - here is a guy who could go beyond his first elected office.

But then came the crap. Michael Corona is now on trial for a number of illegal activities and for some issues of moral turpitude. It turns out that a guy who I thought was a pretty good public official did all sort of nefarious activities while he was Sheriff.

It is a surprise and a disappointment. As always, I am ready to see if the charges are true. If they are he should be punished. But a great career as a public official has been ruined. That is too bad.

No comments: