Monday, November 03, 2008

Movies today

One other comment about our visit to the movies yesterday. I am a big fan of movies but for the last year or so we have not been to see much in movie theaters. I was reminded yesterday one other reason why that is true. For the last several months we have not seen much we wanted to see. And the movie industry, like any other, goes through streaks.

But what also annoyed me yesterday was the assault of ads and reminders. In the pre-show slides we got a lot of local ads. Then came the patter from Sprint and even one from AT&T on turning off your cell phone. I too am annoyed when someone's cell phone goes off in the middle of a movie. But do we have to be reminded several times?

I can watch pretty close to first run movies in my home on TV, with commercials. Or if I choose can watch first run movies without commercials on cable or with a DVD (although even those are being infested now with ads). As I have choices not to be besieged with ads, the movie going experience, as an alternative, becomes less attractive.

No comments: