Monday, November 03, 2008

Gordon Tullock on Voting - a Timely Video

Gordon Tullock on Voting - the clip (unfortunately WGBH does not offer an easy way to embed this video so you will have to click to see it) which you can click through to has a video of Gordon Tullock explaining why he does not vote. It is well worth watching and does an excellent job of explaining a key theory of Public Choice Theory in an amusing manner.

Tullock was the partner of 1986 Nobel Economics Prize winner James Buchanan. He should have also been named, although his academic training was as a lawyer. They jointly developed the field of Public Choice Economics which offers powerful explanations of behaviors in the public sector explained by both normative (what should be) and positive (proving what happens) theory.

When I was doing my doctorate, I was encouraged by a professor to send living scholars my papers on their work. Early in my study I got intrigued with Public Choice Economics and wrote both Buchanan and Tullock separate notes and even sent them a couple of my papers. Both were remarkably generous in responding to my inquiries. (This was well before Buchanan won his Nobel.) I have always appreciated both the clarity of their thought and the care that they showed to a doctoral student.

No comments: