Thursday, November 13, 2008

Kindle


About a month ago I bought a Kindle for my wife. She is an avid reader. The Kindle was brought out by Amazon about a year ago as a competitor to the Sony E-Book. It has a couple of features that the Sony product does not. First, it has a permanent wireless connection (over the Sprint network). I think it also has a larger number of titles to choose from. Plus it has some added features that are not present on the Sony device. She liked it - it allows you to read books in an electronic format that is pretty good. If you read as many things as my wife and I do - that means your bookshelves won't get cluttered. The device can hold as many as 180 books at a time. The battery life is great. The screen is wonderful. It has a primitive web browser and a bunch of other features including the Oxford Dictionary and Wikipedia.

The E-books are a bit cheaper than the print editions plus you can clip and mark passages for future reference. It is really handy.

I decided this week to try the device out and I liked it too. I took it on a business trip and read two books on trips to Chicago and Burbank. Thus, this week we ordered our second Kindle so both of us could have one.

No comments: