Friday, November 28, 2008

The Canon G-10


For a long time I have preferred Canon digital cameras. I realize camera brands are like other preferences and thus some people like Nikons or other brands - but I prefer Canons. I have moved through the line of point and shoots and then when the 10D SLR came out to that. I then moved to the 30 and then quickly the 40. Like many amateurs I have accumulated a set of lenses (and lust after a lot more).


But one of the problems with SLRs is their weight. When I have shot important family events and things which I want to work on the photos a lot, I prefer the SLR but when I am traveling I want something lighter. But as with many things in life, there are tradeoffs. A good point and shoot camera has some serious limits.

I recently bought a G-10 Canon which is a compromise. The camera actually has more megapixels than my 40D. But it also has a 5X Optical Zoom. What I have found most interesting about it is it also has a lot of features on the camera that can be controlled. Smaller Canons also have many of these features but not as simple to operate. For example there are wheels for both white balance and ISO (two ways to control exposure).


On my most recent trip to Mexico, I have tried to push the camera in a lot of ways. Each time it seemed to respond well. This is not a pocket camera but I find it to be a very good addition to my other cameras and a good compromise when I don't want to tote along my SLR. The three shots are from the site of Cortez's landing near Antigua in the state of Veracruz. I reduced them a bit to fit into the Blogspot guidelines for photos - the originals are even better!

No comments: