Sunday, July 18, 2010

Something that does work

I write a lot about things that do not work with government, so it is refreshing to find something that works quite well.  The last time I came back from Mexico I noticed a new kind of fast entry opportunity for travelers who are willing to give up some biometric data and go through a security check.  The program is called Global Entry and costs $100 for five years.

About ten years ago the Customs Service had a program like this which I did and it was horrible.  About half the time I would come back into the country, I found that the computers were down or they would not read my fingerprints or some other problem.   But I thought, what the hell, why not give it another chance?

The new program is a bit more complicated to get into.  You need to go through a personal interview (which I think is more extensive than the one required in the prior program).   But this morning coming back from Veracruz it took me all of 90 seconds to get through the entire customs process.   The computer reads your passport and your fingerprints, asks your declarations and then sends you on your way.  After you get your baggage you go through a special line with your printed slip.  90 seconds flat.  SLICK!!!

No comments: