Thursday, July 29, 2010

Hotel Restaurants

As a rule, hotel restaurants are places to avoid.  They often have odd names, high prices and mediocre food.  Yesterday in New Mexico I found two places that were out of that norm.   We've been in New Mexico at the Hyatt Tamaya for a couple of days at a meeting.   Yesterday afternoon we went up to Santa Fe and for lunch went to a place in the El Dorado Hotel called the Old House.   We got there during a quiet spell in the afternoon and so ate in the bar.   I had some seared scallops which were covered with some Filo dough which had been shredded.  The four scallops were then hidden among this light covering and presented with a wonderful sauce.    We went to Santa Fe to have a chance to see the Georgia O'Keefe Museum which was also very good.

In the evening we went back to the the Hyatt and went to their restaurant called the Corn Maiden.  We started there with some Buffalo Carpaccio.   Their menu splits between a series of Tapas and a more traditional fare.  My wife had their summer special which offered four tapas plus to matched glasses of wine and then a dessert.   I had a rack of lamb which was one of the best I have ever tasted.

In both places the service was wonderful and the selections on the menu were very nice. Now my only problem will be partially solved as I go off to the gym. (See what time I am writing this if the last comment does not seem credible.)

No comments: