Thursday, May 26, 2011

Social Philanthropy

There are a couple of informal fund-raising sites on the Internet that help small startups gain angel funding. Kickstarter is one that I am most familiar with.   It allows a budding entrepreneur to propose a project and put it on the net.


For example, one of my favorite sites on Economics is called Visualizing Economics a project of Catherine Mulbrandon.  Mulbrandon has a knack for taking complex information and putting it into digestible bites.   This Spring she proposed to create a new E-zine on income information and did a Kickstarter request - which was over-funded by more than two to one.


Yesterday my daughter posted a Kickstarter request that asked support for a video project on alternative music. (Please help my friend Brad and his movie project!)  I would always like to support my kids.   So I wrote her the following note "When I see you as a contributor, I will contribute too."  She wrote back and said she had not yet contributed.   In my mind it is sort of hard for anyone to help in a plea like this without demonstration by the requester of "skin in the game."  

No comments: