Thursday, July 31, 2008

Links to my past



Yesterday, at the end of the conference we decided to see if we could find the summer home that one of my great aunts once had. She was a New Yorker and for several years in the 1920s and 1930s she had a house outside of Brattleboro called Quiturkare. (Quit your care). My mother went to summer camp near there and my two aunts had loads of stories about the place.

The problem was that all we had was a rough address. My mother, before she died in 1991, was in Vermont and scouted the place out. But literally all we had was the name of the road it was on. The place is outside of the main city and to get there you need to go over some pretty rustic roads. But after about an hour of moving to and fro - we found it. The picture of the front porch is similar to a house that another part of the family had in Allendale, New Jersey. And I think somewhere in our raft of old family photos we probably have one of some members of our family there in Vermont.

It was odd in that although I had never been there, I felt a slight connection. The house is near the top of a hill and so looks out over the valley. It looks like it could be a great summer residence. I wonder who owned it after my great aunt passed away. In any event it was a pleasant drive and a wonderful find. My son the history buff would have probably also enjoyed being there.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there. What was your mom's name? The people who used to visit the Quiturkare retreat had a sort of log/sign in book that its visitors used to sign and leave comments in. I have all of it, dating from around 1909 to around 1959. I'll see if she's in there!

drtaxsacto said...

My Mother's name was Garber. The aunt she would go to visit was an Archer. I have some photos of her at the house if you are the current owner.

drtaxsacto said...

My Mother's name was Garber. The aunt she would go to visit was an Archer. I have some photos of her at the house if you are the current owner.

Unknown said...

I'm not the owner, I live in Florida and ended up with these from an estate sale that I don't even remember going to now! Anyway....

I just did a cursory look through the log - it spans a lot of years - but back around the 1910 era, a Grace Dean Garber signed in from 611 W. 177th St., New York City. Incredibly interesting handwriting! She actually appears numerous times back in the teens.

She signed in once (maybe more times, but I just found this one so far) with a Helen Louise Garber and a Daniel M. Garber from 460 Riverside Drive, but it doesn't state the city, back in 1915.

Do any of these folks sound familiar to you?

drtaxsacto said...

My Grandmother was Grace Garber. My mother, who was born in 1912, was Helen Louise Garber. You might also see Mary Ellen Garber or Cornelia Mason Garber or Mason Garber.

I think the owner at the time was Nellie Archer. (who our family knew as Aunt Noanie).