Thursday, July 24, 2008

Evaluating the iPhone Application Store

In the first 10 days of the iPhone Application store 25 million applications were downloaded - 90% of those were priced at $10 or less.

I have downloaded a mix of very useful tools and a couple of games.

Here is what I have so far.

**Baseball - A very useful and free application that contains baseball stats from 1880. Well done and simple
Jirbo Break - a breakout game in two levels (one free, one reasonably priced) - lots of levels and fun but not too demanding
Bubblewrap - an inane app which allows you to pop bubble wrap - fun, free but I probably will not keep it on the phone.
**Enigmo - A very challenging puzzle which asks you to move a bunch of objects around to capture water - the graphics are wonderful and the game is fun.
Hotels.com - an implementation of the popular hotels search site for the phone. Free
**iBeer - a funny program which pours you a glass of beer. I bought the premium version which is still inexpensive.
Jott- A pretty good todo list which includes both written and voice prompts
**Loopt - a social networking tool which I have used a lot - which locates where you are and then finds contacts near you. I looped a couple of people yesterday at the Yankees game.
**Morocco - A free implementation of Reversi - this is well done with a couple of levels - the hard one is a challenge.
Movies.ap - Searches for movies - like movies.com
Remote - allows you to turn the phone into a remote controller for your apple devices.
Shazam - An amazing free application which listens to songs and then tells you what it is in 20 seconds. This is good for some kinds of music - mostly not the kinds I listen to but I have amazed some friends while listening to a radio and picking out a tune.
Tap Tap Revenge - a free game using the touch screen and music titles. I will probably not keep this on the phone.
**Where- Another social networking tool which uses location features to then offer a bunch of tips about things to do where you are. I like this one a lot. For example - want to find gas or a starbucks - this does it pretty well.
**Whrrl - Another social networking tool which locates friends in your area but also allows user reviews of things on your map. As this network grows this will become more useful.

Among those the ones with the stars are my top picks so far. Based on that inadequate survey there is a mix of useful tools and games.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just got my iPhone 3G today. Absolutely love it. It's a fantastic device, and Apple and other developers have been able to pretty seamlessly integrate the GPS into a number of apps.

Unfortunately the roll out was a complete bust. I ordered my phone the day after the launch and lost most of my enthusiasm in the wait. I guess most of it's back now, though.