Thursday, May 29, 2008

Tawdry Tell Alls Never Do - Three possible explanations(Plus a bonus) about the career of Scott McClellan

So another White House flack put out his version of history in a tell all. I am not sure why anyone takes these things seriously. For the flack who was still in good graces with an administration - the gloss on the coverage is always too glowing. For the flack who left, as Mr. McClellan seemed to, who wants to "set the record straight" the coverage is always too negative. Each of these books has some elements of truth. But would anyone but a partisan against the current administration believe in one of the most centralized of all administrations that this guy actually had a real policy function?

McClellan says he wrote the book as a warning to future administrations. Yeah right, and we should believe this because he was so truthful when he worked for the administration? Mark Twain had it about right in Pudd'nhead Wilson he had the following quote "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

The reports and published excerpts of the book suggest three possible explanations of his conduct then and now. They could be "I had moral reservations about the job I served but did not have the moral fiber to point them out while I was employed there." If he really had any depth he would have resigned. Perhaps this could be called the lack of moral fiber explanation. An alternative could be "I fully supported the actions I told the press when I was there but now recant." That suggests he was a dunce who was used by the puppet master - either Rove of Cheney. Could this be called the Fagin explanation - I think I better think it out again? Or he might be saying "I was so stupid that I really was led around by the evil people in the administration." Is this the "I was a lackey to power" explanation? A final (and fourth one) which is a blend of the prior three is "I am trying to get you to buy my book and in the same way I lied for the Administration, I am now hyping my book. This could be called the side show hawker explanation. None of those offer much reason for me to read the book. It like most White House memoirs should reach the publisher's clearance table in record time.

No comments: