Saturday, May 10, 2008

Geography



This one is hard to believe but it is true. 57 states without Alaska or Hawaii?

Addendum - A friend pointed out to me that after Bush's verbal abilities we might cut this guy some slack. My point was slightly different. First, this YouTube clip points out that our candidates for president are human. Second, when I first heard this I wondered whether he was doing the math that many democrats do - adding DC, Guam, the VI, Puerto Rico, etc. to come up to the number. Actually, when you listen to his statement he simply made an error of 10 (I have one more state PLUS Alaska and Hawaii.)

The most important gaff of this type was made by Carter. In his first campaign he made a speech where he demanded that we increase taxes for all people "above the median income" - standard democratic mantra. When someone pointed out that the median income at the time was about $36,000, he replied "That is not the median I was talking about." I had been considering him as a candidate before then but when this supposedly brilliant Annapolis graduate (who presumably had some understanding of basic math) demonstrated his lack of candor, I went back to Ford.

The Obama clip is not as big a deal, indeed, it is minor. So the real point here is that every candidate can be shown to be human. That should be a good caution to those on the left who argue that POTUS 43 lacks brains. The press can and does use minor problems to attack candidates. This short clip shows that not just Jerry Ford or W are guilty of lapses.

No comments: