Sunday, February 03, 2008

Voting

I was struck by two things when I voted on Friday (I am in DC for Supertuesday) so I voted absentee. First, the GOP has made a serious error. I am a decline to state - as anyone who reads my scribbles will know - on the conservative side of the ledger but not affiliated. Until a few years ago a DS could vote in any primary - but the GOP has now closed theirs. That means I voted in the democratic primary - let's hope that the dim bulbs who wanted to work for purity of votes understand that often voters who vote in the primary may establish a loyalty to the candidate they support in the primary.

Second, I pulled out my driver's license to show who I was and the very pleasant elections clerk said "We never ask for any ID." So we have set up a situation where one of the most important responsibilities of life requires no ID but to do mundane as flying to the East Coast you not only have to show a state issued ID but you also have to take off about half your clothes to do it. Go figure.

There are two interpretations that I could come up with about the lack of IDs in elections. The first is that showing an ID somehow intrudes upon a person. The second that the ID procedure is ineffective at finding out fraud. I wonder if the NO ID advocates on one side of government have ever extended their logic to the airport? No, of course they have not.

No comments: