Friday, March 25, 2011

Initial impressions of my iPad 2

I received my iPad 2 yesterday - even though I ordered it on the first day, it took 13 days to get it to me.  I opted to get it engraved which you could not do if you bought it in store.  The Photo is from Diario de Yucatan -where the 2 was just released.

Here are five quick takes on the new device.

#1 - It is lighter and feels better in my hand than the first version did - although with the new cover the weight and width are about the same.  The sides are tapered and that makes it a seem a bit more manageable.
#2 - The transfer was simple.   I needed to call AT&T to make sure that my unlimited data plan continued.  That was one 10 minute phone call.  AT&T does not tell you how much data you are using on the unlimited data plan - but with only 2 gigs in the more expensive plan - for now the $5 per month extra seems worth it.  The iPad 1 will now be a WIFI device which I think my wife may want to use but we will see how that works.  When she is on an extended trip, she could obviously opt to get a month's worth of data.  That flexibility is great.  There are lots of things you have to reaccredit - like passwords on some applications - but for the most part this was simple.
#3 - The cameras on it are OK.  The front camera has problems in low light but seems to be fine for video conferencing.  A lot of people have asked me if I use facetime a lot and the answer is that it is becoming increasingly useful.  I have a new granddaughter in LA and a 3 year old grandson who likes to video chat who lives nearby.  My business uses have been limited but I expect that might increase.  I like having the option.
#4 - Rearranging the tablet top - I took this opportunity to rearrange the look and feel of the device.  There are some APPS that I had purchased which I did not use much and a couple that have taken on increasing importance (EVERNOTE and GOODREADER) - they went to the front screen.   I've done a lot of testing of note-taking applications and have not found the perfect one - but my current favorites are UPAD and WRITEPAD).
#5 - The performance is improved but not in a spectacular way.

No comments: