Sunday, January 10, 2010

Apple TV


On Friday night I hooked up Apple TV to our new HD screen downstairs. Apple TV allows you to stream video, music and photos from one machine to your TV in a simple way. I have almost 200 digitized movies and about 10,000 songs in iTunes. Add to that I have 20,000 photos. All of those are instantaneously available on my main screen in our family room.

What I like about this product is its simplicity. It was simple to set up and simple to use. Obviously, if you have non-HD movies they do not magically convert to HD format but they still look very good on an HD screen.

What I don't like about the product is the hard disk size. The current model is 160 GIGs for $229 - I have an earlier version so my hard disk is tiny. With streaming I suspect I will not be using the hard disk much - my main computer at home has 2 Terabytes of storage - but I suspect like most products like this uses that I have not thought of will come to mind very soon.

No comments: