Sunday, September 21, 2008

Summary of Ballot Positions

For the last dozen years I have done a voter guide on propositions which in the 2006 cycle had a couple of hundred readers. This year's election guide is different from previous ones. First, instead of doing this as an email I have posted the issues to this blog. This post includes a summary of all of my thoughts on the propositions. There are three levels to the posts. The current one is a summary with click throughs on each issue (proposition 1 was dropped from the ballot). When you get to that level you can also find a hot link to the ballot summary arguments. I find these very helpful.

Two other summary comments on my approach to propositions. My default position on propositions of any type is to vote no. On bond issues, I believe the state has taken on an awful lot of debt in recent years and so my propensity is also to vote no, even for some very good causes. I also am especially skeptical of constitutional provisions.

That leads me to vote no more than the average voter.

Proposition 1 was dropped from the ballot.

Proposition 2 - Establishing Animal Pen Standards - VOTE NO
Proposition 3 - Children's Hospital Bond issue - Vote YES or NO
Proposition 4 - Parental Notification on Abortions - Vote Yes
Proposition 5 - Proposed changes in sentencing laws - Vote NO.
Proposition 6 Ballot Box Budgeting - Vote NO.
Proposal 7 - Energy Proposals Vote NO.
Proposition 8 Constitutional Definition of Marriage - VOTE NO.
Proposition 9 - Victims Rights Proposals - VOTE NO
Proposition 10 - Energy Bonds - VOTE NO
Proposition 11 - Preventing the Politicians from choosing their constituents - VOTE YES
Proposition 12 - Veterans Bonds - VOTE YES OR NO
Prop 1A - VOTE NO

No comments: