Monday, September 29, 2008

Chino Blanco on comments on Prop 8

I got a follow up from Chino Blanco and am glad I did. Indeed, I am bothered by extremists, but according to CB he is not one - merely someone like me who has taken the time to think Prop 8 out. I can understand why someone would be for the proposition. That is a natural part of the political process. What has bothered me about both sides in the discussion of this issue is their intolerance to the alternative point of view. The militants in the gay community cannot conceive of a Christian as a thoughtful person. The militants in the community that is supporting the initiative cannot see any gay as a decent human being.

In CBs first comment he talked about how at least part of the Pro community was merely using this as a fund raising device. Indeed, that may be true. I am not sure whether it is an important fact in this campaign.

In any event, I appreciate CB for correcting me on my impression of him. Part of what I think we have lost in politics in recent years is the ability to respect another opinion. I misconstrued CBs argument.

1 comment:

Chino Blanco said...

Hi Dr. Tax,

Well, this thing's gonna be concluding pretty soon now.

Just wanted to drop by and wish you well and leave one more link.

My Favorite Mormons: Steve & Barb Young Vote No on 8