Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Fishing Guides and the Economy

The other story for me was the fishing guide I had last week in Colorado. He runs a small fly shop in Carbondale (discussed in detail in an earlier post) and last year doubled his business. He is in his third year and thus that might be expected.

The most interesting thing he told me was that he spent this year his last dollar on print advertising. He has been building an internet business and the use of Google AdSense is much more productive than the print stuff. His business is more regional or national than John Armour's in that he attracts clients like me from around the country and they probably buy a high percentage of his gear.

But like my trainer, a lot of the guiding he does is based on personal referral. Interesting contract with the fly shop and guiding business. I think both of these guys are pretty good businessmen.

No comments: