Saturday, March 15, 2008

Caution lights on Obama

It is unlikely that any politician can spring upon the national scene without a plan. One of the myths of Senator Obama has been that he just came upon us. But as one who experienced at least three examples of seeming newcomers who were not that new (Carter, Clinton and Huckabee are three southerners who come to mind immediately) I think it is important to not buy the story but to look beyond the hype. In the case of Obama, there are some disturbing signs. But it is unclear whether the issues that have surrounded Mr. Obama for the last week are substantial or quibbles.

Obama denounced Pastor Wright but in a way that any lawyer would love in a statement so qualified as if to be almost meaningless. "The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments. But because Rev. Wright was on the verge of retirement, and because of my strong links to the Trinity faith community, where I married my wife and where my daughters were baptized, I did not think it appropriate to leave the church." Indeed the candidate forced Wright to leave the campaign. But the extreme nature of the rhetoric of Pastor Wright and the depth and breadth of his comments suggest that Obama could not have been naive about the nature of his Pastor's beliefs.

I am also bothered by reports of the Senator's wife's comments such as "for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country — and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change." This is a person who has been admitted to some of the most prestigious universities in the nation and who is pursuing a career in the law.

The Rezko affair is also something we should watch warily. Obama claims that the relationship of Mr. Rezko to his house purchase was not known to him (Obama). In the Wright and Rezko issues claiming ignorance is odd and disappointing. A politician playing at the national level should not be able to be led into something simply because of naiveté.

Obama has been extraordinarily adroit at masking his intentions in this campaign running on a campaign of change. But change for change's sake should not be a guide to how to select a leader. Obama's voting record is decidedly to the left. If that becomes his platform, American voters will reject him.

No comments: