Friday, November 16, 2007

The Role of POA

I have been in North Carolina today working on my Aunt's estate. It meant meeting with attorneys, bankers, accountants and brokers and then thinking about how to find a bunch of records to make sure that things can work for my remaining Aunt but also so that we can assure a minimum of hassle. The real truth about holding a power of attorney is the ability to create and use paper (paper over almighty) - the forms that I have had to execute with each of the providers I am working with are mind-boggling.

There were two highlights today. The first was in the bank. I emptied both lock boxes for my Aunts and found in them the following - copies of their birth certificates (both were born in New York - one Aunt's birth was recorded 7 days after her birth the other's only four - although she was the one who was deemed less healthy. No height and weight on the certificate.), a deed to the house they have lived in since 1922 and a bunch of other insurance papers - most of which are no longer in force.

The second was when I visited with my remaining Aunt. One of the visits scheduled later in the day was with a guy who I have had conflicts with - I am not sure he is the best professional in the world. My Aunt cautioned me to be pleasant as "he was born stupid and that is not his fault." We had a good visit but her advice was well said - and was taken.

More on this later.

No comments: