Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Life of Blogs

In May of 2006 I wrote a post about a fight at Gaulludet University. I made the comment that I thought the histrionics about the choice of a president were mired in political correctness. That set of posts generated a lot of commentary and page views. Now, almost a year and a half later I got an anonymous post (I really do wish people would be willing to post with an identity). It argues that the issue is really about self determination and not political correctness. I am posting the response separately, because, while I disagree with the conclusion, I think it is well stated.

The anonymous poster says - "I know this is already a dated issue but I wanted to chime in. You've cleverly crafted this issue as one of 'political correctness' above all else. The core of the issue for the Gaulaudet community is very different. For the Deaf, this is an issue of culture and self-determination. Unlike other disabled people who are hearing and therefore *naturally* integrated into mainstream society, the Deaf are separated lingusistically from mainstream society. It would take an entire book on cognitive psychology and linguistics to explain all the ramifications but the short version is that the Deaf are uniquely situated to both form and require their own culture and language - which they have done in the USA. When 90% of pre-lingually deaf children are born to hearing families, they are usually cut off from their cultural heritage unless unusual circumstances intervene. Surrounded by hearing people most of their lives, deaf children are given subtle and non-too-subtle messages that they are intellectually defective from a young age. What is happening is that the hearing culture around them says, essentially "we are too inconvenienced by YOUR linguistics needs that we will force you to bend to our way. We won't even meet you half way. Sucks to be you!" Lucky children so situated find their way to deaf residential schools where they are quite literally set free from this constant stream of negative messages. Finally they see Deaf adults who are educated and professionally active. Finally they meet other Deaf children and the sense of isolation and 'defectiveness' begins to subside. Gaulaudet university is the only university in the world where the entire format is (mostly) by the Deaf and for the Deaf on their terms. This not to say that Deaf folks are universally unwelcoming to hearing people, hard-of-hearing people, late-deafened people, etc. It's just that they want leaders, policy-makers and role-models to 'get it' in their gut the way only born-deaf and early-deaf persons can. Late deafened people will sometimes learn ASL (American Sign Language) as an adaptive strategy and, much less commonly, make the culturaly shift into Deaf society. More often than not such persons persist in viewing themselves as someone who has become defective, has a lack and the lack of self-esteem and accomplishment that follows. It's exactly those persons that the Deaf do NOT want in leadership positions. So yes, this is a political issue but NOT in the way you have chosen to frame it. "

The gulf which anonymous explains is one which I have experienced. I have had deaf students in classes that I teach and it takes some additional effort to be able to assure that they can make a contribution to the class. I also have a friend at the gym I work out at who is deaf. He is an SC alum and an ardent Trojan. We are able to communicate because both of us work at it - although I will admit I am not very good at it. Ultimately, I am in full agreement with the idea of self determination. But I also believe that any group needs to be viewed in the larger society not as a separate group but integrated into the normal flow of life. That is an idea should always be worked on and which cannot always be assured.

My concern about the fights in this community is similar to the ones which divide other communities. But as a result of the comments from Anon I also realize that there are still people in society who want to separate the deaf in negative ways. This is not an easy issue. But I believe that it is also not one which is limited to the fight in choosing a president at Gaulludet or in a wide range of other institutions.

No comments: