Saturday, November 03, 2007

Idiocy



As a part of employee training for the university that I teach for as an adjunct, I have been asked to take a two hour course on harassment issues. Note, for the last 30 years I have worked around the legislative process on these issues. Indeed, I have been responsible for a couple of clarifications that are in the current code. I was also the founding chair of the largest insurance company which offers coverage for liability for colleges and universities. I spent six years on that board developing policies for us to deal with claims but also in developing an innovative curriculum like the one I am taking.

The meter is a part of this course and suggests that the course should take the average person about 2 hours to complete. As you can see from the display I am a bit ahead of the timer (which lists the expected time to complete the segments). So far at least one of the issues covered was IMHO not a case of harassment. (You are given scenarios and asked to judge whether they constitute harassment under California and Federal Law. ) Thusfar the course has not bothered to discuss the conflicts between federal and California standards. The oddest thing about this exercise is the meter - IF I know a lot about this subject and IF I am a relatively fast reader - then I would probably be expected to go through the material faster. I guess the smart thing to do is to hang on one or two screens to allow the time clock to catch up to the suggested timer. How absurd.

No comments: