Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Spring Days

For the last 35 years I have worked in and around the political process starting with the Nixon White House (twice) and the US Senate and the Congress then the California legislature. For the last 30 years, as of March 1, I have worked for the independent colleges of California. The legislative process can be a lot of things. It can be slow, maddening, cruel, fun, exuberant, bizarre, elevating and depressing - in short everything human experience can bring. But one day each Spring, there comes a time when the seasons take over. Like the first day of Baseball (April 7 for the Rivercats).

Today was such a day. For the last year or so I have worked on two somewhat related issues - caused in part by who I represent and in part by what I represent. I will not go into those issues now. But today I started with a key staffer in the Assembly and a senior Senator - talking about both issues. What I found was that the tales of immediate collapse and degredation, spread by one of my antagonists in the issues, were, as I suspected complete fabrications. In both cases these key players argued reasonableness and thought - exactly what the process should be.

It wasn't the weather - but it sure helped.

No comments: