Saturday, May 02, 2009

Mr. Justice Zelig

I have a strange take on Justice Souter. Unlike some other conservatives, I do not find he betrayed his appointers. I am not sure that Potus 41 vetted him as closely as he should have. Souter turned out to be a pedestrian liberal. There is not much in his tenure on the Supreme Court which distinguishes him. He was simply there like Zelig, the mythical character in the Woody Allen movie.

The President is likely to appoint another liberal, but what we might get is someone who will show some flair. I do not agree with Justice Ginsburg on much but I think you can point to instances where her opinions or concurrences add insight to the work of the court. I think that is what you can expect from the President's first appointment. In my view that will be an improvement over the retiring justice.

No comments: