Sunday, January 13, 2008

What's a conservative to do?

The earlier comment about Daily Kos deserves at least some equal time. And indeed the WP has offered it. The Post has a story about Grover Norquist (anti-tax crusader) and Gun Owners of America and their continuing hatred for John McCain. But the most recent polling suggests that McCain and Giuliani are both very credible with the electorate.

Although I must admit that I am not a friend of either more taxes or gun control, I am also almost instinctually negative on one issue people and groups.

I still have not come down to my favorite candidate - although some in one camp have asked me to be on a steering group for one of the candidates - but at this point McCain and Giuliani look pretty good to me. There are parts of both of their campaigns that I disagree with and there are certainly other candidates (like Thompson) who have come up with some very good ideas. But if either McCain or Giuliani were to be nominated I would very likely be supportive. What I am looking for in this cycle is a person of integrity (from conversations with a lot of other voters I suspect I am not the only one in that position).

No comments: