Tuesday, January 01, 2008

The TV Candidate

Fred Thompson is something of a puzzle for me also. His whole campaign reminds me of the commercial where a person says "I am not a doctor, although I play one on TV..." Thompson has shown some, in my opinion, intelligence by refusing to play the game that everyone else who is seeking the office seems to be willing to play.

A good number of the debates this season have been absurd. His reluctance to play the "How many of you would support X policy (raise your hands)" debate format is wonderful. His announcement and several other public pronouncements have shown a very good command of the mood of the voters.

I like a lot of his advisors and his policy ideas. But there is simply something missing in him as a candidate. His reputation in the US Senate was mediocre. Many of my friends from Tennessee commented that he lacked energy as a senator - part of that could come from an unwillingness to play the stupid pet tricks like raising your hand if you want to debate X issue.

I am also unconvinced that he would present a strong alternative to either Clinton or Obama - the two front runners for the dems.

Would I vote for him, sure if he is the nominee. But based on this work thusfar, it is unlikely that he will emerge from the pack.

No comments: