Sunday, July 01, 2007

It's real - a preliminary review of the iPhone


I bought an iPhone yesterday and despite all the hype, it's real. On Friday I looked at the line at my AT&T store and decided to go to the baseball game. Saturday morning I was able to get into the same store and get out in about 20 minutes. In the time I was at that store there were four other iPhones sold but I think Apple got in a good supply. I got the 8 gig - at $25 a gig for the larger phone it seemed a natural.

First to the criticisms. In my mind a lot of the criticisms are not on point. Speed of the network - this is not a heavy web surfing device it is designed just like a Blackberry to do light surfing (for example I looked up Chad Harville's record on Baseball Cube last night at the game). Its primary web functions are mail and maps and for both of these functions the speed is OK. It matches the speed of the Verizon network which I used until yesterday for data - and I suspect over time that will speed up. Although I still believe this is not a heavy web device. No Video in the Camera - Again, I plan to use this device for a Smartphone. If I want photos I will use a camera. Lacks a Keyboard - As the day progressed I found I got better at using it. I am not going to write a paper on this and will probably use if for short messages and for that it is fine. Ring Tones - The inability to use your own ring tones is true (although Apple supplies a lot) but I suspect it will be corrected by some software writer soon. I also hope iRooster gets ported to the iPhone - that alarm clock with an attitude would be a great addition. Battery - One NYT Commentator ripped the new phone for lack of a replaceable battery. I have used Ipods since they came out. None has ever experienced a battery problem. The battery life seems to be as advertised so I am not sure what the rip was here.

The obvious plusses - Intuitive Functions - The instruction manual is very short. The sign up with AT&T is simple. Synching is very easy. Switching functions is simple. The map function is a treasure that I am sure to use a lot. Accelerometer - This works as advertised and I think it will be used a lot. The Screen - you have to see it - pictures are excellent, videos are crisp - well done.

I have one other comment - about the network. I have been a Cingular customer since I left Tmobile. I have used their network all over the country and despite Verizon's claims I have found it to be consistently strong almost anywhere I go. I have also used Verizon including their data network. AT&T seems to have done a lot to make the process of signing up (the fee adds $20 a month for unlimited web functions and 200 SMS messages. That seems like a good deal - comparable to the $20 for T-mobile's access for customers to hotspots but with more functionality. The integration with iTunes was a good match - it allowed me to download my calendars and contacts, photos and music, in about 10 minutes (for the first time).

Tips - I found, at least for me, that the Horizontal view is much better for typing and for web browsing. And because of the efficiency of the ability to change modes, that is a snap.

All in all this is a very good new product.

No comments: