Friday, June 09, 2006

Michael and Emily


Engaged 6.3.06, originally uploaded by drtaxsacto.

On the weekend that our son got married, my daughter's (now) finace asked for her hand. We were pleased. No doubt about it! Our daughter called us last weekend to tell us Mike had actually asked her. (Again pleased).

Mike talked to me about it on the afternoon of Peter's wedding. It was one of those awkward moments in life. I had a pretty good idea what he wanted to talk to me about and yet in my role this was not something I could initiate the conversation on. Like a lot of other things I have seen him do, he thought this one out. Not in the way one would memorize a speech - but with care for the important step that he was taking.

Michael went to USC (a plus), to the film school (a major plus), and he seems to genuinely appreciate Emily's qualities (a bazillion plus). He decided this spring to go to business school at UCLA (remember there are two large research universities in Southern California) (Not a minus - Anderson is an OK place - especially for someone who wants to make a career in the pictures and especially for one who already went to USC). He seems genuinely commited to building a career but as important he is also commited to building a relationship with Emily that will grow over time.

They are a great couple. Over the last year I have had the opportunity, when on business in LA, to have dinners or breakfasts with them. They complement each others' strengths. But they also seem to know how to supplement each other's frailties. And in many cases that is just as important.

To give you an idea about them - or at least Michael. He designed the engagement ring. When I saw the picture, I was amazed at how he caught the essence of my daughter in his design.

Ok, so with all this good news, how come it did not get blogged until now - almost a week later? There are several possible explanations -
1) I was so excited about it that I could not figure out what to write.
2) I was on an airplane (for the whole week)
3) I was stuck in #7 of the 7 deadly sins list
4) The internet was down for positive posts
5) I was so excited about Phil Angelides being nominated for Governor that I could not write about anything non-political or related to baseball.
6) My wife could not show me how to get on the internet until now.
7) I thought Jay Leno had covered it on his show.
8) I was worried that if I posted this photo that all the young men and women in LA who had not met Emily or Michael would be despondent.
9) I actually did post something but there was a harmonic convergence that karmaed this post out until now.
10) I was at a Barbra Streisand rehersal for her 100th final tour which starts this summer.

In reality, none of those is correct. We are very excited about this couple.

As is required in this Motion Picture code of ethics - no animals were harmed in making this announcement. And it has a WVH rating - We're Very Happy.

No comments: