Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Absurdities of Life - A continuing series

This afternoon I needed to rent a car to use while my new S-2000 is in the shop. I am going to need the car for a week because some bozo (DEFINITION - BOZONE - a place which is completely devoid of intellectual activity) backed into me in a parking lot and did not bother to leave a note. I had made a reservation this morning but because of a continuing problem with printers in the office, was unable to print the confirmation sheet. So I got to the car rental facility and was told even as a Whoopie Doodle level of customer (I rent from these guys about 50 times a year) there were no cars available. I was about ready to rip the guy's head off when I thought of another strategy. I called my office and asked one of my staff members to get on the company's site and use the "special rate" for a weekly rental. She got on the site and went through the routine. I got a confirmation number and then went back to the counter. I got the car at the rate I had for the original reservation. (Including the $20 thank you coupon as a "loyal customer")

Now, mind you that I am a very loyal customer (three rentals in the last two weeks - not counting this one). It seems to me that if I knew the amount of the rental for the week and even if I did not have my confirmation number they still should have busted their pick to get me a car.

Question - had I accepted the counter agent's assertions I would have left without a car but I would also have left with the clear impression that they did not give a hoot for me as a customer. Something tells me I would rent from them less. That seems like a consideration that someone might want to include in the training of the counter people.

No comments: