Friday, July 17, 2009

Technology and Health Care

About a week ago I had a friend visiting who had a health emergency (described in an earlier post). After we got him in the CCU, I wondered how to keep his extended family informed. He has real family in Ireland. He has lots of extended family in Mexico. He has one former assistant who is traveling the world and currently is in China.

So here is what I figured out. #1 - Email - for the time that he was in the cardiac care unit I did a daily email update. But then I figured that they would like pictures and videos. #2 - So I began to include a picture of the read out of the telemetry that he had in his hospital room. After all one of his nieces is in health care in Ireland. #3 - The videos got large - even from an iPhone - and because his former assistant and some of his Irish relatives may not have lots of bandwidth, I set up a MobileMe gallery with all of the videos in one place. People who are interested can subscribe.

Nothing was revolutionary here. But I was amazed at how truly simple the whole process was.

No comments: