Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Bo Diddley


One of my most distinct memories of my introduction to music was the first time I heard Bo Diddley in the middle 1950s. I was eleven or 12 and I first head "I'm a man." Diddley, at that time recorded for Chess and Checker. He was born in Mississippi but made his career in Chicago. Bo Diddley died today after suffering a stroke in 2007

There were a lot of things that were unique about him. First and foremost was he was the first musician that I remember who who used his name in a lot of his songs. Second, was his unrelenting beat. He was one of the definers of rock and roll guitar. Of course he influenced a couple of generations of musicians.

My wife and I saw him in concert twice. First, in Washington DC in a Rock and Roll revival show. But where he really showed himself was in a concert about 25 years ago in Sacramento, where he was the attraction. He came on stage and brought down the house for about an hour and a half. He took a short break and then did a second act of about the same length.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post is being considered for The Sacramento Bee's roundup of regional blogs, which appears in Forum, the Sunday commentary section.

The Blog Watch column is limited to about 800 words. Blog posts included in the column are often trimmed to fit. The blog's main address will appear in The Bee, and the online copy of the article will contain links to the actual blog post.

If you have questions (or you DON'T want your blog post considered for inclusion in the newspaper column), contact me at greed@sacbee.com

Gary Reed
Forum Editor