Monday, May 14, 2007

Problem Solved



One of the problems for many audio listeners is the conversion of vinyl to MP3. We have tons of records that are wonderful and out of print. I would love to have them in MP3. Last week when I was down visiting the new president of Caltech I had lunch with a couple of friends, right before the meeting, and one told me about something called the ION USB turntable.

Walt Mossberg reviewed this a year or so ago and was not entirely satisfied. I am not sure whether they have upgraded the software or whether he was too harsh - but I spent about an hour installing the software and tweaking the settings and then was able to record a bunch of songs I had not heard before. The turntable can be used with any standard audio system (with RCA inputs) or directly into the computer. For $100 bucks (a special price at Costco online last week with shipping) it sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

No comments: