Thursday, March 16, 2006

A great car


1996 Ford Mustang GT
Originally uploaded by drtaxsacto.
I recently bought a new car and will post a photo of it when I get the chance. But I sold this, a 1996 Mustang GT. When I began to shop for the new one, I looked at a lot of cars. I like convertibles so I looked at the following - Chrysler Crossfire, Audi, BMW, and the new Mustang as well as the Pontiac.

A couple of things soon became apparent. First, the Crossfire and the Audi and the BMW were over-priced. From some discussions with current owners the Crossfire was not entirely reliable.

Then I took the Mustang out. Unfortunately compared to the 1996 they have extended the wheel base and tried to make it a bit retro. In my mind the larger size is a negative. At the same time the interior, which was supposed to look trendy/ retro IMHO looks tacky. A brushed chrome strip looks cheap. It also lumbered a bit. One of the attractions of the 1996 was that it's steering was very responsive - the new one is a bit more sloppy.

I sold my car on Craig's list - in four days for very close to the Kelly book value. A guy from Richmond wanted it for his daughter's first car. I hope she understands what a great car she is getting.

No comments: