Sunday, July 10, 2005

Vin Scully and the Pope

Last night we had a dinner in Baltimore and I had the chance to sit next to a CFO of a California university and his family including a third grader. The family comes from LA and we talked a little about the challenges of being a Dodger fan and how great Chavez Ravine is as a stadium. They had been to Camden Yards earlier in the day and raved about the stadium and the wife was surprised that Camden is younger than Chavez. We were talking about famous people we have met and I said something like "in 2000 I was thrilled to have an audience with Pope John Paul II, but it was almost as exciting to meet Vin Scully." Scully was a boyhood hero of mine - I heard him on the radio in Bakersfield. The young boy exclaimed "You've met Vin Scully?" That was certainly the best line I have heard in a long time.