Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tone Deaf

Yesterday the President, in response to a question, said to a farmer if you are worried about some potential regulations, contact the USDA.


Here is the video (supplied by Politico).   What amazes me about this clip is that Obama's first response is that a guy who knows the business of farming should first consult with the USDA.  Doesn't that seem a bit odd - shouldn't the first question in Washington be about whether a particular idea is going to inhibit the ability of private producers from doing what the market system allows them to do?   Why should a guy who knows farming also have to navigate through a bureaucracy?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"We're from the government and we're here to help." I'm sure the president (for whom I voted) would like to believe that the regulators who work for him want to be helpful, but in at least one case I know of, they are being quite the opposite, and are known to be closed minded and even vindictive when queried. (Hence, I am identifying myself here as Anonymous even though some would say I should use Paranoid. It's just that the damage they can do is so enormous - in this case costing students hundreds of millions of dollars per year.)