Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Miracles in Technology

A couple of months ago I bought a new MacPro with lots of Ram and a huge hard disk (two even of a terabyte apiece). Never mind that when I started to work with computers Stanford's entire network was about two terabytes.) I decided to put all of the CDs that I have collected over the years on to iPhoto. My Flickr account has about 20,000 photos (I like photography). But between my prior collections and the CDs I have almost 35,000 photos going back to the mid-1990s. (Those are after culling my really bad shots.)

I began to load the photos on to the hard disk - backed up with a 500 GIG Iomega portable drive. But I soon realized that some of the photos on the CDs had been backed up already. No problem - IPhoto does a great job at searching out duplicates and asking if you want to add them again. I have recovered some photos I thought I had lost without having to go through all those duplicates. What's more the new IPhoto does both place and face recognition so I have been able to catalogue all of them. It actually recognizes the difference between Vicente Fox - who I met in Mexico and Desmond Tutu - who I met at the University of the Pacific.

That may seem common place to some but to me all those things are still a WOW!

No comments: