Sunday, February 22, 2009

Sangam Restaurant in Arlington VA

On Sunday I flew to DC for a meeting on Monday. I stayed in a hotel on Glebe Road (because my meeting was in Arlington). Attached to the hotel is a restaurant called Sangam - Indian food.

When I lived in Washington we loved a restaurant called Gaylord which had fine Indian food. We had some friends in the embassy and they swore by it. I especially like a dish which has spinach and lamb called Lamb Saag. Sangam does that very well. They had a wide range of other dishes that I would have liked to have sampled - one of the defects of eating alone is the inability to try more than one dish. I would have loved to try the Samoosas or one of the other dishes and some more of the breads (I tried the Naan and it was fine). They had a mango custard for dessert which was quite tasty. A guest at the next table had the Gulab Juman which is one of my favorites - it looked pretty good but I did not ask him how he liked it.

The service in the place was attentive but not bothersome. The owner seemed to come to every table and ask how things were.

One of the fun things about travel is finding little gems like Sangam - it is worth the trip if you are in the DC area.

No comments: