Friday, February 13, 2009

Bluehost

I recently decided to get my own URL (that is the address that you use on the internet to have your distinct territory). It sounds a lot more techie than it actually is. You choose a name, pay a fee and then you can set up your own world.

I asked a couple of friends who know a lot more about the Internet than I about hosting services and finally decided to use a service called Bluehost. I used a new software package called iWeb '09 - which is the latest version of Apple's program with pre-designed websites.

My site is now up and running. A couple of caveats. First, I needed help of a friend who knew something about UNIX directories and posting to the web. He is a computer consultant who I have used before named Lee Hinde. He knows his stuff but he is also a patient guide. Second, Bluehost was exceptional. After you do the initial setup they have a bunch of helpful video tutorials on setting up your website and also some predesigned website templates. (I liked the ones in iWeb better.) Bluehost also has a very helpful help desk.

I am still trying to think out what my site will be used for - but it is up and running and that is exciting. If I can do it, and you have a friend or guide like Lee Hinde and a hosting service like Bluehost - you can too!

No comments: