Monday, December 08, 2008

Re-envisioning language

IBM has a new webap that reconfigures words using a set of algorithms - ultimately the "word clouds" give greater prominence to words that appear more often. For example, here is a quote from Frederic Bastiat on Competition. The application is called

After all, what is competition? Is it something that exists and has a life of its own, like cholera? No. Competition is merely the absence of oppression. In things that concern me, I want to make my own choice, and I do not want another to make it for me without regard for my wishes; that is all. And if someone proposes to substitute his judgment for mine in matters that concern me, I shall demand to substitute my judgment for his in matters that concern him. What guarantee is there that this will make things go any better? It is evident that competition is freedom. To destroy freedom of action is to destroy the possibility, and consequently the power, of choosing, of judging, of comparing; it amounts to destroying reason, to destroying thought, to destroying man himself. Whatever their starting point, this is the ultimate conclusion our modern reformers always reach; for the sake of improving society they begin by destroying the individual, on the pretext that all evils come from him, as if all good things

And here is how Wordle dealt with that.

You can vary color and font and that seems to influence things like word placement. I am not sure how to use the things it produces but thought it was interesting none-the-less.

No comments: