Thursday, October 30, 2008

Voting

This morning I exercised my franchise early by voting at the County Office. Three things surprised me. First, there was quite a crowd there. I asked the person who helped me about the crowd and she indicated it was light compared to other times in the day or the week. Our registrar thinks there may be a 90% turnout. I am not sure about that but was impressed by how many people were there.

Second, I am always struck with the process a bit. I came up said "I want to vote" presented no identification (as noted in February when I also voted this way - the clerk actually said it was not only an ID not expected it was discouraged) and was given a ballot. So in these days it is harder to get on an airplane than to vote. That is silly.

Third, I was also struck by the employees in the office. They were uniformly helpful and pleasant. Many public offices don't operate to those standards but in this office they do. They are even open from 9-2 on Saturday this week to accommodate voters who cannot make it to the polls on Tuesday.

No comments: