Friday, December 28, 2007

So who am I going to vote for? (Not yet)

The answer here is more complex than the previous post on who I am not going to vote for.

Before I discuss the rest of the candidates, I would like to offer four ideas about an ideal presidential candidate. These are really places where I am skeptical of the current crop and they suggest that I will have a very hard time making a decision.

#1 - I am skeptical that any senator can be a good president. Very few members of the US Senate are ever elected to the presidency. The last, directly, was JFK and indirectly LBJ. There are some good reasons for that. Senators feel, whether rightly or wrongly, that they have a major hand in government. The filibuster and other less visible devices like the "hold" give them the aura of authority. In recent years, it is my opinion that those tendencies to imperial status have increased. I don't think that offers much hope for someone who can negotiate the complex waters of Washington. Senators also spend a lot of time competing for bandwidth - some more than others - but that makes it harder for them to see the long term nature of most political issues. Again, the 24-7 news cycle has increased that tendency. Think of Charles Schumer as the archetype of a bandwidth seeker.
#2 - I am skeptical of new kids on the block. The worst president in my lifetime was Jimmy Carter who came from a small state with limited experience. But generally I would not want to hire a person for a job with all the issues of the US Presidency who had little experience in similar responsibilities. Some would argue that Governor Huckabee has relevant experience but his comment yesterday on the assassination of Mrs. Bhutto (He first offered "apologies" for her death, he then stumbled on the issue of "political games" - we can't afford a president who is learning on the job).
#3 - I am skeptical of the breadth of the capabilities of the federal government (actually any government). Which leads to two other conclusions. First, I am not sure that I like any candidate who has an answer for every malady. At the same time I generally reject the idea that a good president is a good wonk ( a person who is overly fascinated by details). Carter knew who was on the White House Tennis Courts but hadn't a clue about the economy or foreign policy.
#4 - I am skeptical of anyone who does not have a normal life. I understand the demands of politics. The life of a good politician is not normal. But I want people to have a sense of reality. One of the failings of Bush 41 was his inability to understand normal things - like grocery scanners. I distrust anyone who says they will commit their entire lives to my needs or to the job.

Obviously, were I strict about all four of these I would be voting for NOTA (None of the above) and that is not a reasonable option for me.

No comments: