Thursday, August 02, 2007

Boingo

I traveled back to Sacramento today and ran into a problem in Chicago. The Chicago airport authority has purchased Boingo as their WIFI package on the concourse. I am a Tmobile Hotspots user. It is far superior to Boingo for a number of reasons. But the way the package is set up in Chicago - even in the Red Carpet room where Tmobile is the WIFI provider - Boingo takes over and prevents you from logging into the Tmobile spot. They allow you to use Tmobile on their network but for $4.99 per day.

Two suggestions - first Tmobile should have a more simple login URL. I went back into history to find the Tmobile login but I think it is conditioned on where you are. Second, the annoyance that Boingo caused me about two years ago was resurfaced as a result of this. Two years ago it took me three months to get Boingo to understand that I had signed up for a one day account instead of a monthly account. This experience does not make me any more supportive of Boingo.

No comments: