Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Mac Virus

Leander Kennedy argues that the two new Mac viruses are a "bunch of crap" - I think he may be protesting a bit much. I am a devoted Macintosh user. OS X - the current operating environment is vastly superior to anything in Windows - even some of the projected versions of Longhorn. But what the two attacks of very minor and non-harmful viruses tell me is that the community that gets its chuckles out of destroying other people's work is trying to chip around the edges. I am not a programmer and those that I talk to suggest that the underlying Mac kernal is much harder to break through. But the energy suggests that they are trying.

The major difference between Mac and Windows has been the way the two entities responded. The Windows security threat was not taken seriously at first and then discounted. The Mac response so far has been to try to work on patches quickly. On that point alone, even if the threat is going to become real at some point, I would think the Mac is superior.

No comments: