Monday, March 09, 2009

A strange sort of thanksgiving

This morning, I sold the remaining part of my aunt's portfolio. She died at 92 in September. I have been the executor for both my aunts. Part of the reason I think I was chosen was because I think my two aunts thought I would be respectful of their independence.

For the last couple of years my older aunt lived in a nursing home. She lost her ability to move around and for a good part of the last year she was alive rarely if ever ventured from her bed and her room. But between her investments, a small pension check and her Social Security check, she was able to cover those costs. As I was selling the porfolio off today I wondered whether the amount we were now realizing would have produced enough cash flow to assure that she did not have to worry about bills. I am thankful I never had to confront her with that problem.

One other footnote to this story. Like many stock portfolios this one has taken a significant dump. She had a portfolio that had some very good companies - most of whom were chosen for their dividends. But one bright light is the existing capital gains rules. With the decline we have several items in the portfolio that are well below their basis in September - for those willing to invest in the market in these times, there is significant potential for capital appreciation without tax cost. That is almost like a freebee.

No comments: