Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Archeologist's Dilemma


We are in Mexico visiting a friend and for me to give a talk on the American Election and the Credit Crisis. But I wanted my wife to see Tajin - which is one of the most impressive archeological sites in Mexico. We lucked out yesterday - the day was marvelous. The last time I was there it was 100° and about 200% humidity. In the three times that I have been to Tajin - this is the first time I thought it was actually pleasant.

Tajin is an impressive site with a lot of edifices uncovered as well as a lot that they know is there but not uncovered. The area is known for its niche architecture (a good example is in the picture). Our friend was discussing the problem facing archeologists. Uncover an area and the elements will get to it, if other forces do not get to it first. So many archeologists are ready to go slow on uncovering these treasures around the world. The climate in Veracruz is very humid, and when combined with the pollution these ancient structures tend to get worn out.

And yet I am always amazed at what I learn when I go to one of these sites - about technology of the time; about the underlying culture. Some think that a lot of the constructions that archeologists make can be fanciful. And indeed, even in the time that I have been working in Mexico some of the assumptions about various sites have begun to change.

I am reasonably convinced that even with the risks that for the advancement of knowledge we should be working on these sites, uncovering them and documenting them (with photos and videos). And if indeed they fall to the elements we will still have uncovered more about the human condition. If you want to see more of Tajin look to my Flickr Site and for the set called Tajin (I have two on there).

No comments: