Thursday, October 31, 2013

A new definition of accountability

I must say that after I read reports of the HHS Secretary's testimony yesterday I had to go back to the dictionary. She said "Hold me accountable for the debacle. I'm responsible," - So what does the dictionary say - "the fact or condition of being accountable; responsibility."

So did the Secretary say  assure those people who counted on the promises that she and the President made would be fulfilled? (If you like your current policy you can keep it)  Uh, no.

So did the Secretary suggest that she had an answer to fix the problem of many current policy holders experiencing huge increases in premium?  Uh, no.

So did she say they would fix the process by which a massive new complex consumer website was allowed to go live without adequate testing?  Uh, no.

So I am confused.   What does taking responsibility mean?  When Harry Truman was President he said "The buck Stops here."  For the Secretary, the words are clear but the substantive actions are not.  In the Nanny World view of the Secretary being accountable means making decisions for others that you do not feel they are competent to make on their own.

No comments: