Thursday, April 03, 2008

The Real Cost of Elections and the Scourge

For the last couple of days I have been giving conferences in a university in Mexico. The Rector is a long time friend (I refuse to use the word old). Last night I spent about two hours with some community people and students and members of the state's electoral commission discussing the American electoral system and analyzing what might happen if....

I surprised myself in one instance - one member of the electoral commission asked why American elections are cheaper to run than Mexican elections. I am not sure that number is correct. But my immediate response was the "real cost of elections comes after them not before." I thought that was a pretty quick retort but it also reflects a deep seated belief.

Later a question was raised by a respected judge in the area. He asked whether legalization of drugs would lessen the negative societal effects and whether any American politician had recognized that. The drug issue is not one that I have given much thought to but his comment raised a question in my mind. If the costs of drug interventions are as high as they are (and between the social, criminal and enforcement costs they are very high (they are certainly in the billions of dollars) then what would we gain by legalizing? Of course, some in society would be stuck with addiction - but as I thought about it I am not sure the numbers from current policies would increase. I have heard the case for legalization but until the question last night had never thought about the consequences. In this case, as in many, less governmental action might be more effective.

In the end, that was a revelation. But I added that no American politician who has a chance of being elected is likely to go against the common wisdom. The revelation I had from the question is that our common wisdom is common but not wisdom.

No comments: